Monday, March 27, 2017

I CHANGED MY MIND

March 27, 2017

When I was sitting in class today, I realized that the deadline for this project is very soon and I need to start working harder and faster. I was looking at my table of contents, messed around with it, and realized how ugly it was. I needed to start fresh and new. It’s a little late to be thinking this, but I know it will look significantly better if I do this. Better now than never.

I deleted the entire page and opened up a new document. 

I’m making my table of contents via Pages, which is a word processing software on my computer. I’m more skilled with this program and it allows me to use any fonts I want, so it’s crucial I use this. 
So, I began again. I looked up newer, fresher, cleaner fonts through 1001fonts.com (I’m trying something other than dafont.com) I’m able to download these for free and use them for my personal use without being copy-writed. I utilized Pinterest and another website that had 50 different table of contents ideas (which was super helpful) for more inspiration and found much cuter and sleeker ideas than I had found before. I also fully scratched out my original idea of listing the articles since that’s way too boring for my genre’s audience. I’m going for minimalistic, yet creative, and somewhat colorful. I also referred back to this photo (below), which I had found in a previous time researching. I’m going to go with the photo idea, but really make it my own since my audience tends to enjoy more of the “fun” paired with sleek, rather than just pure, plain, and sleek. 
Also, I decided that having a monthly issue of my magazine may be a great idea since I can coordinate every color and photo with that season/month. I decided to go with July since the Cambridge exam near July and that specific month looked best printed in the font I choose (lol). Also, summer magazines tend to be very bright and happy, which is exactly what I would wan my first issue to highlight. I’ve completed the first half of the spread for the table of contents… take a look. Keep in mind: all of the photos used are not mine and are only there for inspiration and will be replaced as soon as I take my pictures. 


I’m attempting to give this “July” issue a very beachy, relaxing, soft, and sleek vibes. I know that is what my audience is into, so naturally, I’m going to continue with that in mind.
Now that everything is changed, that means different photos are going to be taken. Luckily, I’m meeting with Cayla and Carly on Wednesday, so that shouldn't be an issue taking a few more (crossing my fingers everything goes as planned). 
Well, I’m going to continue making this TOC. My goal for the next blog post, if for the finished TOC to be shown. I got this!

-Sami <3




Some Citations:
*"Designing the Perfect Table of Contents: 50 Examples to Show You How." Design School. N.p., 06 Jan. 2016. Web. 27 Mar. 2017.
*"New & Fresh Fonts." 1001 Fonts · Free Fonts Baby! N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Mar. 2017.
* Pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment