Monday, March 6, 2017

MY FIRST THOUGHT

March 6, 2017

     Today was the first day of the project… that means BRAINSTORMING!! I need to figure would what I want my magazine spread to look like and want genre I wanted to focus on. Prior to even receiving this assignment, I have always wanted to work for a fashion or lifestyle magazine, whether it is Vogue or Cosmopolitan, so deciding on my genre was really simple. Since a lifestyle/fashion magazine would be what I most enjoy reading and what I am most passionate about it, I would be able to easily convey my message to my audience most efficiently. 

     Regardless, I really wanted to make sure my target audience to be young adults, specifically female since I can relate to them most. I did some research on double page fashion/lifestyle magazine spreads for inspiration via Pinterest. I wanted to start by creating my double page spread before my cover since I’m not 100% sure of the topic I want to cover. I felt that once I perfected my ideas for my double page spread, the idea for my cover would come easy. Here are some of my inspiration photos. 


     For my double page spread, I am debating between two different layouts. I was thinking either some sort of overhead photo (similar to the first inspiration photo) which would allow for my text to loop around it. That way, I would be able to have my images intertwined into the background and I think that would allow for a cooler effect and make it more interesting to read. 
     I also am an avid reader of Cosmopolitan (well, I mostly look through the pages and photos lol), so I get most of my ideas from that magazine. I really love how they use bright colors against very light backgrounds and close up shots on people’s faces. 
     My other option would be a cutout of a person and completely base my article around them. I’m picturing more of white or blush pink background behind the person to make them standout. The text would outline one side of her. I would need to play around with the layout since I’m not sure yet what my other half of the spread would look like. 
     I’m so excited to create this magazine!! Stay tuned for more updates! :)


-Sami <3

Some citations:

* Pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web.

* Shunatona, Brooke, Braelyn Wood, Kelsey Stiegman, Taylor Branson, Carly Cardellino, Deanna Pai, Maya Allen, Laura Capon, Jennifer Tzeses, Gina Mei, Kristina Rodulfo, Jenna Rosenstein, Maddie Aberman, Zara Kenyon, Baze Mpinja, and Kelsi Zimmerman. "Brooke Shunatona." Cosmopolitan. Cosmopolitan, n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment