Wednesday, March 8, 2017

I KNOW WHAT I WANT

March 8, 2017

     This morning I woke up with the best idea ever: making my double page spread based on hair styles and makeup. It sounds simple, but when I was looking through the most recent issue of Cosmopolitan, I saw this amazingly minimalist, clean looking spread that incorporated a large main photo of a someone with messy hair and a quick tutorial. Although I don't want to copy it completely, I really gained an idea that can potentially lead my entire project. Instead of doing the entire double page spread on hair, I want to make half of it about makeup products in order to incorporate my overhead shot that I want to include. This would also really entice my target audience since they are majority females and in the age group of around 18-late twenties. 

Here are the magazine pages I want to pull inspiration from:


     Today, I also decided on what I want to implement in my Table of Contents and really just how I want to organize my magazine to suit my audiences wants. I also did additional research on what aspects the top fashion magazines include in their content. After reading an article with points on the way Elle magazine (the #1 Fashion magazine) and other top magazines organize their content, I discovered a pattern each have. They split up all the content into categories that fit their genre. Yes, I definitely want to do that, however, I need mine to be unique. I want to of course focus on “Beauty, Style, and Life,” but I decided to add in two new categories, “Gossip” and “Self Love.” The purpose of my magazine is to make they reader know how beautiful they are and the power they have in society. “Self Love” is extremely important to me and is a message I feel all females should be fully aware of and should become a huge part of their life. I know that my audience will love this addition since it will make them feel so much more empowered, especially in the present time.
I’m going to include the double page spread under the “Beauty” section of my magazine. I feel both hair and makeup together would find really well there. 
Going a little off topic, I recruited the models I want to use for my main photo on my double page spread. I wanted to showcase a blonde and a brunette to have diverse hair colors. I’m envisioning two girls sitting next to each other with beach wavy hair looking into the camera which half smiles. I want the page to look very chic since that is a very large part of high end Lifestyle and Fashion magazines. The only downfall is that the girls I am photographing may look too young because they are 16 and I was going for a mid twenties look. I’m going to take those photos ASAP just in case I need to find someone new to be photographed.
This has been so much fun so far! I can’t wait to see what the page will look like!

-Sami <3
Some Citations:

*"Top 10 Fashion Magazines." Top 10 Fashion Magazines - Elle, Harper's BAZAAR, Vogue, Marie Claire and More. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.

*"11 Ways to Shop and Support Women." Www.elle.com. N.p., n.d. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment